Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 04:30:46 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> Again:
>
> - Searching the bug tracker for duplicates.
> - Tagging the bug.
> - Changing priority.
> - Closing it as a duplicate, maybe.
>
> All of these require interacting with Debbugs. Usually through the
> control server.

I haven't followed this discussion closely, so I don't know whether
anybody's mentioned this before: Emacs does have a way to interact with
the Emacs bug tracker through the debbugs-gnu package.  I don't know
whether anybody else uses it to do bug triage but me, though.  :-)

It allows you to do all those things you mention (except searching bug
report bodies) without knowing anything about debbugs syntax.

It's got some problems, though: The initial time it uses to display the
list of bugs is long (15 seconds), and there's no way to update the list
without re-fetching the entire list, which is a bore.  But the debbugs
API just doesn't have any way to say "get bug reports that have changed
since <time>".

It would also be nice if Emacs had (as part of report-bug, perhaps) a
way to search bugs, so that users could see whether anybody else had
reported the same thing, but again, the debbugs API isn't very...
er...  expressive?

> Or, in the case of search, it's usually more intuitive and, most
> importantly, *faster*.

A better search of the bug database would be great; yes.

Anyway, it's obvious that most younger programmers prefer the
Git{hub,lab} way of doing things -- if only because that's the only way
they've done this sort of thing before.  And it would be great if Emacs
could cater to that programming pool, too.

But personally, I just loathe interacting with bug reports and patches
through a web browser, and I hate the "accept the pull request" thing,
because I want to test the patch locally on my own machine first, and I
want to be able to fix up really minor syntax things myself before
committing without brow-beating the patch submitter repeatedly to get
them to fix up these things minor before accepting the patch.