Re: Line height issues with display-line-number-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Line height issues with display-line-number-mode
Date: Wed, 08 May 2019 09:39:58 -0400

> Btw, any reasons (other than "because we can") why we use these
> tricks, instead of actually producing an underline?

Not sure what "producing an underline" means concretely.  All I tried to
do in *vc-log* (aka log-edit-mode) is to represent the separation
between the header and the body in a "graphical" (as opposed to purely
textual) way.  The current implementation is just something that works,
but we could of course change it.

> when we produce line numbers, so that we start the layout of the rest
> of the line with the height of, say, 1 pixel, and let the rest of the
> line's text enlarge that as needed.  But doing this naïvely would
> backfire with various special cases, like empty lines, lines with
> characters whose font-provided height is small, etc.: those lines will
> appear smaller in height,

Smaller than what?  AFAICT they wouldn't appear any smaller than when
line-numbers are turned off, or would they?

        Stefan