Re: Line height issues with display-line-number-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Line height issues with display-line-number-mode
Date: Wed, 08 May 2019 10:17:38 -0400

>> > Btw, any reasons (other than "because we can") why we use these
>> > tricks, instead of actually producing an underline?
>> Not sure what "producing an underline" means concretely.
> Using the 'underline' face, obviously.

I did guess this part ;-)
But what text would you apply it to?

>> > when we produce line numbers, so that we start the layout of the rest
>> > of the line with the height of, say, 1 pixel, and let the rest of the
>> > line's text enlarge that as needed.  But doing this naïvely would
>> > backfire with various special cases, like empty lines, lines with
>> > characters whose font-provided height is small, etc.: those lines will
>> > appear smaller in height,
>> Smaller than what?
> Smaller than other lines.

That wouldn't be a problem but a feature: those lines are smaller than
other lines when line-numbers are not displayed, so it's not a problem
if they're also smaller when line-numbers are displayed.

>> AFAICT they wouldn't appear any smaller than when line-numbers are
>> turned off, or would they?
> They might, I'm not sure.

If it makes them smaller than without line-numbers, then it's indeed
a problem, but I wonder why/when that would happen.

        Stefan