Re: Line height issues with display-line-number-mode

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Line height issues with display-line-number-mode
Date: Tue, 07 May 2019 22:43:59 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 07 May 2019 15:09:23 -0400
>
> Rather than try and guess it based on the presence of a display/overlay,
> maybe we could require a specific text-property like `no-line-number`?

We already have such a text property (display-line-number-disable),
but it cannot help here, because you do want the line of buffer text
that follows the after-string to have a number.  Only the after-string
should not have a number.

> BTW: in nlinum-mode (and presumably linum-mode as well), the
>      line-numbers are clipped, so I guess this is a difference between
>      text-in-the-margin and text-in-the-"main"-area.

Those modes didn't pay attention to overlays at all.

Anyway, people are welcome to work on some tweak in these cases.  It's
a bit tricky, because the display engine only ever looks at a single
screen line, but maybe someone will have a clever idea.