Re: Should diff.elisp.xfuncname match cl-lib macros?

From: Basil L. Contovounesios
Subject: Re: Should diff.elisp.xfuncname match cl-lib macros?
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2019 15:22:58 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <address@hidden>
>> Cc: <address@hidden>,  <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2019 21:54:55 +0000
>>
>> > So I think until we fix this basic deficiency, extending that to more
>> > symbols will just add to the mess.  YMMV.
>>
>> Which deficiency do you mean?  That 'git log -L' picks up
>> next-line-or-history-element instead of next-line in your example,
>> i.e. that it's currently inaccurate?
>
> Yes.
>
>> How do you usually use this feature?
>
> With commands such as the one I show above.  It's supposed to show the
> history of changes in the named function, but instead it almost always
> shows unrelated history.

I'm not aware of any way around this other than through restricting the
search regexp, as Andreas alluded to:

git log -L ':next-line[^-]:lisp/simple.el'

Are you?  Either way, I'm not sure the proposed change to xfuncname will
make 'git log -L' any harder to use in practice.  On the contrary, it
will allow using 'git log -L' to search for cl-defuns, etc., where this
is currently not possible.

--
Basil