Re: Should diff.elisp.xfuncname match cl-lib macros?

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Should diff.elisp.xfuncname match cl-lib macros?
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2019 23:33:12 +0200

> Is this feature even useful with Lisp?  I find it mostly useless,
> here's a typical example:
>
>   git log -L :next-line:lisp/simple.el
>
> Type this command in your repository, then watch the fun.  More fun is
> available when Git for some reason decides you asked about some
> variable, not a function (and in Lisp we frequently have variables by
> the same name as a function).

Since it uses the first match, a workaround would be first to find
a match immediately before 'next-line', e.g. 'next-line-add-newlines',
then starting from its position continue the search for 'next-line':

git log -L :next-line-add-newlines:lisp/simple.el -L :next-line:lisp/simple.el

Maybe this feature could be used by ‘C-x v h’ (vc-region-history)
in case when there is no active region.  Currently it signals
an error "The mark is not active now", but could use the name
of the current defun for '-L :defun:filename'.

PS: Regarding the change in diff.elisp.xfuncname, can we also have
an appropriate regexp for diff.c.xfuncname as well, to find
DEFUN in C code?