Re: graceful shutdown response to temperature climb

From: Van L
Subject: Re: graceful shutdown response to temperature climb
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 14:55:43 +1100

Ahmed Khanzada <address@hidden> writes:

> Love the Joni Mitchell quote, and her music.

Me too. What an artist. She paints to recharge her creativity batteries
for music, as a farmer does by letting the land lie fallow.

> I am interested in helping all things BSD in Emacs. Do you think the
> best way to duplicate your error is to create a scenario like yours?

On NetBSD-8 stable /usr/sbin/envstat lists

-- quote
                           Current  CritMax  WarnMax  WarnMin  CritMin  Unit
            temperature:    73.000  127.000                             degC
  cpu0/cpu1 temperature:    72.000   97.000                             degC
       cpu0 temperature:    73.000                                      degC
       cpu1 temperature:    72.000                                      degC
          temperature 0:    72.000                                      degC
          temperature 1:    47.000                                      degC
          temperature 3:    69.000                                      degC
            fan speed 0:      3984                                       RPM

-- quote ends

… perhaps what is needed is to track the temperature changes and to set
customizable thresholds allowing time enough to call shutdown gracefully.

> I'm also confused on a detail: did elisp or the OS trigger a shutdown
> when a certain temperature was reached?

I'd say the OS. The kernel build config lets you set the wait interval
before actual poweroff IIRC. But I don't think that interval allows the
file system to sort itself out to avoid corrupting and breaking the machine.

--
© 2019 Van L
gpg using EEF2 37E9 3840 0D5D 9183  251E 9830 384E 9683 B835