Re: Linking to ImageMagick by default

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: Linking to ImageMagick by default
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2018 22:39:01 +0000

On Wed, Dec 05, 2018 at 02:30:34PM +0100, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Is it worth reconsidering whether Emacs should link to ImageMagick by
> > default? The pros are support for more formats and rescaling, the cons
> > are crashes.
>
> Without image scaling, modes that display images become pretty
> worthless.
>
> I think the long term solution here is to implement image scaling in
> Emacs (probably not very hard) and then drop ImageMagick-by-default
> after that's been done.

This may be naive, but is it possible to leave scaling to the GUI
toolkit? I know that when we draw images into the frame in NS we can
specify different sized rectangles for source and destination and the
toolkit handles the scaling for us. I think w32 is the same and
presumably X provides something similar.

--
Alan Third