Re: Linking to ImageMagick by default

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Linking to ImageMagick by default
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2018 20:31:08 +0100

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>
>> Without image scaling, modes that display images become pretty
>> worthless.
>
> I think that is an issue that will vary from person to person.
>
>> I think the long term solution here is to implement image scaling in
>> Emacs (probably not very hard) and then drop ImageMagick-by-default
>> after that's been done.
>
> Do you have an opinion of GraphicsMagick?
> It claims to be more stable and secure than ImageMagick.
> I guess that someone who knows the Emacs ImageMagick code could port it
> to GraphicsMagick fairly easily. (I don't, and didn't, bug#14358).

Porting to GraphicsMagick ought to be fairly straightforward.

Copy pasting a textbook image scaler into the emacs codebase ought also
be straightforward.

If this is done I would humbly suggest that the
ImageMagic/GraphicsMagick code is kept around as an alternative.

This is because Imagemagic has support for some less common file formats
that I use. I can of course keep a patch around or make a module.

As an aside I used the ImageMagick code in Emacs to preview about 130000
images that I scanned using Emacs. I remember it as being very
stable. But I guess times change.

--
Joakim Verona
address@hidden