Re: Weird problem with inital frame sizing

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Weird problem with inital frame sizing
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 17:47:29 +0200

"Perry E. Metzger" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 10:50:05 -0400 Noam Postavsky
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On 12 September 2018 at 10:37, Perry E. Metzger
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> > Thinking that this might be some sort of weird race condition
>> > during initialization, I put a "(sleep-for 1)" into my .emacs
>> > just before the code that sets everything, i.e., before all my
>> > "set-face-attribute" and "default-frame-alist" manipulation. When
>> > I do this, the frame pops up in its initial size and
>> > configuration, and then after the sleep ends, the size of the
>> > default frame adjusts and is consistently correct.
>> >
>> > Can anyone guess what might be going wrong, and how we might fix
>> > this correctly?
>>
>> Does changing x-wait-for-event-timeout help (or hurt)?
>>
>> Possibly doing your manipulation in after-make-frame-functions would
>> be the correct fix.
>
> It would seem to me that requiring users to change their default font
> in that way rather than just in their .emacs file is a bit
> heavyweight. It's certainly not documented, and hasn't always been
> needed in the past...

This might be <https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=31745>,
which I haven't gotten around to tracking down fully. Itʼs very
window-manager dependent though. I found that starting emacs with
'--no-x-resources' made the issue go away, which points to a race
condition in the initial frame setup.

Robert