Weird problem with inital frame sizing

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Weird problem with inital frame sizing
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 10:37:23 -0400

For some time, I've noticed that in circumstances I can't quite pin
down, the size settings for the initial frame that I put in my .emacs
aren't always followed.

Often, for example, the frame will end up created but (apparently, I'm
just guessing!) in the size it would have been if the new (larger)
font I've set hadn't been employed, so the frame is too narrow and
short.

Subsequent frames created are _always_ correctly sized.

Thinking that this might be some sort of weird race condition during
initialization, I put a "(sleep-for 1)" into my .emacs just before the
code that sets everything, i.e., before all my "set-face-attribute"
and "default-frame-alist" manipulation. When I do this, the frame pops
up in its initial size and configuration, and then after the sleep
ends, the size of the default frame adjusts and is consistently
correct.

Can anyone guess what might be going wrong, and how we might fix
this correctly?

(I'm running the master branch, as of a few days ago, under X11. One
factor may be that I'm remote displaying over a slow link using Xpra,
but I can't be sure if this is at all relevant or not.)

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden