RE: delete-selection-mode as default (WAS: Some developement questions)

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: delete-selection-mode as default (WAS: Some developement questions)
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2018 07:53:46 -0700 (PDT)

> A third situation, in which at least one veteran user (me) cares is when
> testing a bug fix with emacs -Q.  In such cases, I can get fairly
> irritated by, e.g., transient-mark-mode, and would get even more
> irritated were delete-selection-mode to be enabled by default.

I don't understand. If it were on by default then to repro the
user's recipe from emacs -Q you would want to have it on, no?

Even now, when it is not on by default, if a user recipe to repro
it says to turn on d-s-m you would do that, no?

Are you saying that it would annoy you to follow a user's recipe?

Yes, if it were on by default then more bug recipes would have
it on than off, on average. And if you were to follow a recipe
with it on then you might be annoyed - as you are now by
t-m-m being on in most recipes.