Re: delete-selection-mode as default (WAS: Some developement questions)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode as default (WAS: Some developement questions)
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2018 10:23:46 +0300

> Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2018 09:19:21 +0530
> From: Bingo <address@hidden>
>
> Can we consider changing defaults only for users who don't have any init file
> at all ?
>
> This change may not solve many problems, due to two other features of emacs :

What problems will such a change solve?

Personally, I think that changing the behavior just because there's an
init file, even though that init file doesn't explicitly mention the
affected features, would be confusing.

More importantly, I think the argument about the defaults, at least
for veteran Emacs users matters mainly when there is no init file
anyway.

> 1. Emacs undo is frustrating for most new users. Correcting mistakes with
> delete-selection-mode i.e. restore
> a selection that was deleted due to a mistaken delete by typing/pasting ,
> will need them to use undo.
>
> 2. In their attempt to play with undo/redo, they might do C-y. Which pastes
> in Emacs : but it is the key for redo
> in many "modern" editors. This can cause more unintended deletions in
> delete-selection-mode.

So I guess you are saying delete-selection-mode should not be turned
on by default?  If so, why do we need the change you propose?