Re: delete-selection-mode as default (WAS: Some developement questions)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode as default (WAS: Some developement questions)
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2018 12:26:43 +0300

> Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2018 14:03:46 +0530
> CC: address@hidden
> From: Bingo <address@hidden>
>
> 1. When Emacs first starts, see if there is an init file. Various modern
> software do so, so we would be on solid ground there.
>
> 2. If so, trust the user that he would have set delete-selection-mode as
> required.

I'm not sure this is a valid assumption.  A user could have
delete-selection-mode not turned on because she had no idea such a
thing existed in Emacs.

>  This would avoid stepping on the toes of power users : which form the
> majority of Emacs users.

Please note that veteran users only care about defaults when they need
to use Emacs on someone else's machine, or when logged on as some
other user (like root or su).