Re: Some developement questions

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Some developement questions
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 15:16:38 +0200

hw <address@hidden> writes:

Hi,

> Well, I don't really know the datails; only sometimes I need to run
> (tramp-cleanup-all-connections) when it somehow gets screwed up.
>
> Last time, it blocked me entirely when it tried to create a backup file
> and couldn't do that because file permissions did not allow it.  I was
> forced to either kill Emacs or change permissions so it could create the
> file.  After that, I changed the backup directory for tramp and found
> out that cleaning up all the connections is not enough to have this
> change applied; I had to kill the buffer and visit the file again for it
> to work.

If this happens again, you could call "M-x
tramp-cleanup-all-buffers". It clears all connections *and* kills all
buffers related to a remote file.

For further analysis, I would need the Tramp debug buffer. If you set
permanently tramp-verbose to 6, relevant information are traced. Well,
at least as long Tramp is mulish ...

> So at least for one case, here are the details, but I won't call it a
> bug, only something that could be improved upon, like check permissions
> before creating backups and prompt what to do when permissions do not
> allow to create one, and applying a change of the backup directory right
> away to all connections, or prompt the user if the change should be
> applied to all of them now.

Again, it is not clear what caused the problem. In order to get Tramp
improved, I count on users sending the traces.

> That was Emacs 24.x, on Centos, so perhaps this has already been
> changed.

Well, Emacs 26 is out, and the integrated Tramp shall behave
better. Yes, this is my hope all the years ...

Best regards, Michael.