Re: Some developement questions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Some developement questions
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2018 18:11:16 +0300

> From: hw <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2018 22:42:25 +0200
>
> > Read about that in the manual, nodes "TCP Emacs server" and the
> > description of the --tramp-prefix= option under "emacsclient Options".
>
> I don't understand this documentation.  It's a good example for why
> people turn to a search engine.

Feel free to submit bug reports about any unclear documentation,
explaining what part(s) confused you.

> And I don't remember how to get back when following links in info
> documentation

You can type 'l' (for "last"), or use the left arrow button on the
tool bar, or click on "Info" in the menu bar and select "Back in
History", or click on Info->History and select any node you visited at
random.

> This documentation is really difficult to read.

You mean in general, or this specific feature description?

> Anyway, why would I need to forward the port via ssh?

I don't really know what you are after, exactly: you never described
that in enough detail.  The features I pointed to allow one to use
emacsclient to access remote machines in several different use cases,
and I hoped one of them is yours.

> And what file is there to access when I want an X frame?

When you invoke emacsclient, you usually ask it to visit a file,
right?

> The example in the documentation is the wrong way round: The server is
> running on the remote machine.  If I wanted to run emacs locally on my
> workstation, I could just do that, but I want it to run on the server
> because I don't shut the server down but my workstation.

It depends on the direction from which you look at the connection.
Files local to the remote host are remote files for you when you sit
at the other end.

> But I'd like to use the Emacs server without such detours.  Can remote
> Emacs not simply be simple?  Why doesn't the locally running emacsclient
> allow the remote Emacs server to access the terminal transparently?

Now I'm confused: which terminal would you like the remote Emacs to
access, and how is that relevant to your original question?