Re: Some developement questions

From: hw
Subject: Re: Some developement questions
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 00:51:38 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: hw <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden,  Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,  address@hidden,
>> emacs-devel <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 03:33:08 +0200
>>
>> In theory, Emacs could find out which variables are being defined in
>> ~/.emacs and whether they are already known or not, like by checking if
>> they can successfully be described.  The unknown variables could then be
>> brought to the attention of the user.
>
> That would definitely annoy me, for example: I have a lot of settings
> of "unknown" variables, in preparation for when they will become known
> (when the corresponding package is loaded on demand).

Hmm, yes, there would have to be a way to tell the check which unknown
variables it must not consider.  Would it bother you when there was
merely a function you needed to run to perform the check?  I wouldn't
consider it useful that the check would be done on every startup.

>> Unfortunately, the Emacs server can still not be used from remote
>> machines --- or can it finally?
>
> Yes, it can.

Wow!  Finally!  Awesome!  I have to see if I can get that to work right
now!  That would be incredibly helpful ...

Hm, no, it doesn't work:  It says it connects, but then it either says
"*ERROR*: Display :0 can't be opened" or "*ERROR*: Could not open file:
/dev/pts/35".

I can understand that it might not be able to open the display on the
client because I started the X session without it listening to the
network.  But if I do that and allow the server to access my X session,
everything goes unencrypted over the network.

I don't exactly understand how emacsclient fails because it can not open
the terminal.  'emacsclient -f ~/.emacs.d/server/server -nw' would never
work on a remote client.

I can 'ssh -Y server' and then start an xterm which shows up on the
client.  With the current Emacs server setup, starting emacsclient fails
because it insists on using display :0, ignoring that I'm telling it
otherwise.

I do not really want to use 'ssh -Y server', run Emacs on the server and
then use frames that appear on the client unless the Emacs session on
the server would survive the sudden disappearance of the frames.  Last
time I checked, Emacs did not survive this, even not Emacs-lucid.

So how do I get this to work?