Re: XOAUTH2 (GMail) auth source integration package now on github

From: Cesar Crusius
Subject: Re: XOAUTH2 (GMail) auth source integration package now on github
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2018 08:04:44 -0700

>   > The manual procedure for making the package work is not simple,
>   > requiring one to navigate Google's "development console" in order
>   > to create keys and such.
>
> I have to guess at what that means, but I suspect this is an
> unacceptable problem.  I think the dependence on Google needs to be
> eliminated entirely before we can have this in GNU.  Most Google
> services require the user to run nonfree software -- does this?  For
> moral reasons we can't recommend that people run that.
>
> Also, the conditions for a Google account are unacceptable.  For
> moral reasons we can't recommend that people make those accounts.

Yes -- for a variety of reasons, I don't think this is a good candidate for
inclusion in ELPA or Emacs itself, but should stay as a standalone package
(added to MELPA whenever I have the time or somebody else does it).

Strictly speaking, there is no dependency on Google at all in the package: it
should work with any "XOAUTH2-compliant server." In practice, however, Gmail is
the only reason people need support for XOAUTH2 authentication mechanisms, so
it's a moot point.

Best,

--
Cesar Crusius