Re: bignum branch

From: Andy Moreton
Subject: Re: bignum branch
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 17:16:46 +0100

On Tue 14 Aug 2018, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Andy Moreton <address@hidden>
>> Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 16:11:36 +0100
>>
>> It seems the answer is patch the header manually , or avoid -Og builds.
>
> I think that could be dangerous of the MSYS2 maintainers want GMP to
> be linked statically.  A better course of action would be to remove or
> rename libgmp.dll.a.  (I understand the annoyance with the warning
> from pacman, but wouldn't it also whine if you modify the header
> file?)
>
>> I have not yet tried an -O2 build to see if that works.
>
> Even if it does, I think one cannot rely on that.

Another approach is to force static linking. I tried setting GMP_LIB on
the configure command line, but that did not seem to propagate to the
resulting Makefile. However, hacking <builddir>/src/Makefile to have
this works:

    GMP_LIB = -Wl,-Bstatic -lgmp -Wl,-Bdynamic

That resulted in a binary with statically linked GMP, and where
evaluating "(logcount #xfffffffffffffffffffffffffffff)" does not crash.

    AndyM