Re: bignum branch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bignum branch
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 17:55:18 +0300

> From: Andy Moreton <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 00:13:54 +0100
>
> > It may also be a good idea to report the problem with gmp.h to the
> > MSYS2 forum, they should fix the header anyway.  (Mingw.org already
> > fixed theirs, as I reported related problems, not about Emacs, a few
> > months ago.)
>
> Looking at the MSYS2 on github, there was a pull request to fix the
> broken header install problem for GMP, but the maintainers dropped it:
> <https://github.com/Alexpux/MINGW-packages/pull/3941>

It sounds like they want GMP and MPFR to be available only for static
linking, "for simplicity".  That is OK, and is their prerogative, but
then the package should come without the libgmp.dll.a import library
(and maybe even without the DLL), because the GNU linker will prefer
linking against the DLL if it sees the import library.  IOW, their
decision seems to be inconsistent with the package contents.
(Assuming that the import library you have is not a left-over from
some old installation, that is.)