Re: bignum branch

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: bignum branch
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2018 01:02:01 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

What are the
arguments _for_ using "the standard libgmp that everybody uses"

It's what Emacs does for the other libraries that it uses, some of which are also essential for Lisp operation, and there is no good reason for treating libgmp differently. libgmp is a common dynamic library used by many other libraries and programs, Emacs is already dynamically linked to libgmp on GNU/Linux distributions with few if any reports of dynamic linking hell, so there is no good reason to change on these platforms.

My main reason for linking GMP statically is that the way we integrate
it into Emacs is different from all the other libraries we use in
Emacs: the other libraries support optional features, whereas GMP
supports a feature that is part of the Emacs Lisp language.

First, that's not true for Emacs. libc and libm are dynamically linked and are essential for Emacs Lisp.

Second, libgmp is essential for other GNU programs like GCC, and they work just fine dynamically linked. Emacs is not special here.

I wasn't talking about GMP, I was talking about other libraries GDB
links in.  libexpat, liblzma, even libintl -- all of those are linked
statically here.  Maybe they, too, are linked dynamically on
GNU/Linux

Yes, these libraries are linked dynamically on GNU/Linux.

it isn't something outlandish.

Sorry, but static linking *is* outlandish on GNU/Linux. Again, maybe things are different on MS-Windows, but let's not let the tail wag the dog here. I'm not saying static linking never happens on GNU/Linux -- it does -- but it's definitely oddball nowadays.

Much of this discussion appears to have been based on a misunderstanding of how things commonly work on GNU/Linux. Static linking is no longer routinely used by applications on these platforms. Some GNU/Linux distributions don't even fully support static linking any more, for security reasons. It would be a mistake for Emacs to insist on it.