Re: New warnings on emacs-26 branch with gcc 8.2.0

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: New warnings on emacs-26 branch with gcc 8.2.0
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2018 12:56:45 -0700

Andy Moreton wrote:

cc1.exe: warning: -Wabi won't warn about anything [-Wabi]
cc1.exe: note: -Wabi warns about differences from the most up-to-date ABI,
which is also used by default
cc1.exe: note: use e.g. -Wabi=11 to warn about changes from GCC 7

I noticed this problem a while ago on Fedora in several GNU projects, and fixed it for Emacs master in commit 2018-06-30T00:31:address@hidden

To avoid the problem entirely in the emacs-26 I'd run admin/merge-gnulib and update everything from Gnulib as it's not worth the trouble to cherry-pick these sorts of fixes from master. If we'd rather not do admin/merge-gnulib, then we can just suggest './configure --disable-gcc-warnings' and/or 'make WERROR_CFLAGS=' to emacs-26 developers; either of these should work around the problem. (Builders from tarballs needn't worry about this, as GCC warnings are disabled for them by default.)

Can this be simplified to be less over-zealous and less time consuming ?
The overzealous-warning part has been fixed on master. I'm sure 'configure' could be sped up, if someone wants to take the time to work on that.