Re: fine grained control of webkit browsing

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: fine grained control of webkit browsing
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 20:00:32 -0400

On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 19:26:40 -0400 Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
wrote:
> Now that I see the architecture, I conclude that using JavaScript
> this way is not an ethical problem.  It's free code in a program
> the user installs, so ethically it's as good as any other free code
> in a program the user installs.
>
> We could perhaps expose the interface to Lisp by defining Lisp
> functions that work by sending JavaScript code.  Somewhat inelegant
> in implementation, but that might not matter to Lisp programs that
> use these functions.

The superior method is to expose the C/C++ API to WebKit to elisp.
However, no one has yet done the work to make this happen.

We do not want to use the JavaScript method you suggest long term
because system safety requires that JavaScript be turned off when
browsing certain content, such as email. If we depend on JavaScript
under such circumstances, we will cease to be able to control the
window and view untrusted content safely at the same time.

For the moment, however, it works okayish.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden