Re: fine grained control of webkit browsing

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: fine grained control of webkit browsing
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 21:20:58 -0400

On Tue, 19 Jun 2018 18:57:08 -0400 Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
wrote:
>   > The widget is not fully integrated into Emacs.  The extent to
>   > which one can conveniently communicate with the widget is by
>   > sending a string containing a JavaScript program to the widget
>   > and have it return a value.
>
> In what computer does that JavaScript program get executed?

Inside the same Emacs process on the same machine. WebKit is linked
in to Emacs and controls a window. JavaScript is being injected by
elisp into the WebKit instance to control it.

> Why use JavaScript here?

In the absence of having the full WebKit API exposed to the rest of
Emacs, it's the only obvious way to tell WebKit to do things like
scrolling the window. Yes, it's not really what you want, which is
what we are discussing. Ideally, the entirety of the WebKit API would
be exposed to the elisp layer and one could much more tightly
integrate the browser into the rest of the editor.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden