Re: Zoom: a window management minor mode -- best practices and questions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Zoom: a window management minor mode -- best practices and questions
Date: Mon, 07 May 2018 21:19:16 +0300

> From: Andrea Cardaci <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 7 May 2018 14:32:28 +0200
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> There's one problem with `buffer-list-update-hook` though, it gets
> called (multiple times) even wen the buffer list is not changed, e.g.,
> simply by clicking in the buffer. Is this the expected behaviour?

I don't remember (perhaps Martin does).  But if you show a C-level
backtrace from such a call to buffer-list-update-hook, it will be easy
to say whether this is expected or not.

> Besides this, if there's no way to get rid of false positives in event
> handling (i.e., a relayout is triggered but no actual change happened)

Do you mean that pre-redisplay-function is called?  If not, what
exactly do you mean by "relayout is triggered"?

> Also, oddly enough, `pre-redisplay-function` is never called on macOS
> (Emacs 26.1)...

That's strange.  The most frequent call to pre-redisplay-function is
in prepare_menu_bars; are you saying that function is never called on
macOS?  If you put a breakpoint inside that function, does it never
break?