Re: Remove "Recent messages" from `M-x report-emacs-bug'

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Remove "Recent messages" from `M-x report-emacs-bug'
Date: Mon, 09 May 2016 22:09:12 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 09 May 2016 20:25:39 +0200
>
> But I'm wondering why our experiences here are so different.  I don't
> think I've ever found those messages important for handling a bug
> report.  I mean, ever.  Do you often find that those messages are
> important for tracking down bugs?

Yes, definitely.  Users seldom tell enough details about what they see
or do, and the information collected by report-emacs-bug, including
the *Messages* part, sometimes provides clues that it would be very
hard to get at otherwise.  Especially when the bug is not easily
reproducible, or there's no recipe at all.  The alternative is to
start asking tedious questions about what they did and what Emacs
displayed, deal with incomplete and inaccurate accounts of that, etc.

> The few times I've even glanced at them, they've have mostly been about
> something completely irrelevant -- what the user had been doing while
> trying to figure out how to file the bug report, and not about what had
> happened when the bug happened.

That happens quite a lot, yes.  But disregarding irrelevant data is
easy enough.  When the data _is_ relevant it is invaluable, so even if
it happens infrequently, losing it would be a bad blow.