Re: -Wall

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: -Wall
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2016 08:02:26 -0400

>> warnings should be enabled by default (on Linux), but
>> they shouldn't be treated as errors.

Agreed.

> It's good at times to not treat them as errors, so I installed the attached
> patch to add that capability more clearly, with a new configure-time
> option --enable-gcc-warnings=warn-only. The attached patch makes this new

I don't think the default behavior for --enable-gcc-warnings should be
to treat them as errors.  IOW I think "--enable-gcc-warnings" should
just ask gcc to emit the warnings, and then have
"--enable-gcc-warnings=error" to treat them as errors.

I think it'd be both closer to what most people would want (just
a guess, obviously) and would make more sense from the point of view of
the meaning of the words.

IOW if we want "--enable-foo" to have errors and "--enable-foo=bar" to
just emit the warnings, then "foo" shouldn't be "gcc-warnings".

        Stefan