Re: -Wall

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: -Wall
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2016 11:51:53 -0700

On 04/04/2016 11:22 AM, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
There's a lot fewer warnings when compiling with -Wall in emacs/src now
than there used to be, but there should be none, I think.

I'm getting no warnings when I build.

Are there any of them that, like, are there for a reason (i.e., we
disagree with the gcc people that those things should be warned about),
or are they all things that should be fixed?

It's more the other way around: -Wall doesn't generate enough warnings. Please try './configure --enable-gcc-warnings'. This uses -Wall plus some other warning flags that are useful in practice. I regularly check that this builds cleanly for recent GCC on my platform (Fedora 23, GCC 5.3.1 20151207 (Red Hat 5.3.1-2)), and occasionally for recent Ubuntu, both using default configure-time options.

If you'd like to take up the burden of porting --enable-gcc-warnings to other platforms feel free, though my suggestion is to not bother with older and/or rarely-used platforms as they have too many bugs in this area.