Re: IDE

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 19:34:30 +0300

On 10/18/2015 02:56 PM, David Engster wrote:

In dynamic languages, you would mostly have tags with no specific type.

I'd say 50/50. Calls with implicit target can roughly be expected to have the current class (which can be determined lexically) as the target. Similarly for calls on 'this' or 'super'.

Add to this calls on variables that have been assigned a value instantiated in the current lexical scope (or, say, method), or the results of standard library calls that we've analyzed in advance, where we can determine the type of output. This kind of analysis would be better left to an external tool, though.

It is only upstream, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is broken by now
due to changes in mozrepl (this is why I don't like depending on
external binaries). I don't code Javascript anymore.

Yes, it didn't seem to work last time I checked (a while ago). The implementation should be interesting anyway.

Well, it's not like a bunch of people are hacking on the C
parser. Several things happened:

It's not like I'm blaming anyone, really. But it leaves an impression of CEDET being more of a research project.

- In general, hacking Emacs isn't as much fun as it used to be.

Many of us can sympathize, I'm sure.

Yes, and do you know how the Jetbrains guys achieve this? They have an
extensive framework for writing grammars, lexers, etc. Those guys are
weird!

I'm sure that's not all they have. They have completion, and they have (at least some kind of) refactorings using the same interface across products. That hints at flexible coupling between components.

Or maybe not. EDE-like structure might work for them as well.

But I'd be ecstatic to even have a consistent UI for features that VS
Code (smaller cousin of Visual Studio) touts here:
https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/editor/editingevolved

Ever tried to load some random make-based C++ project into Visual C++?

It probably won't work. But so what? It's great that you have a solution for this in CEDET, but it shouldn't impose particular constraints on what a project API should look like. At least I don't see why or how it should.

My point was about user-facing features anyway. If we only provide them initially for languages with simpler/standardized dependency management, that would be a big step forward already.