Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4e23cd0 4/5: * mail/rmail.el (rmail-show-messag

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4e23cd0 4/5: * mail/rmail.el (rmail-show-message-1): When displaying a mime message,
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 18:43:49 +0300

> Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 16:16:13 +0300
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> On 04/05/2015 04:08 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > Any constructive suggestions?
>
> 1) Forget the "push automatically after commit" nonsense

The discussion is waaaay beyond that, so this is no longer relevant.

> and double-check each commit one creates before pushing.

Agreed (and now mentioned on the Wiki).  But again, not very relevant
to the issue at hand, which had to do with user confusion more than
with anything else.

And if we think double-checking each commit before pushing is a must,
we should make VC support that seamlessly.  After all, all Richard
used was VC.

> 2) People who don't know how to do that, and are unwilling to learn, or
> who aren't confident in their results anyway should post patches to the
> mailing list.

I disagree.  We should let people who want to use a CVS-like workflow
do that.  It's possible if done correctly.  The previous instructions
for that were sub-optimal, but I think they are now much more clear,
accurate, and concise to allow using that workflow safely.

I see no reasons for being this harsh just because some contributors
don't yet master Git enough to use it like we think they should.

> Had Richard started with that, a lot of time would've been saved, on
> many ends.

Time spent helping someone is time well spent, at least as long as
it's my time.