Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4e23cd0 4/5: * mail/rmail.el (rmail-show-messag

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4e23cd0 4/5: * mail/rmail.el (rmail-show-message-1): When displaying a mime message,
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 01:32:49 +0300

On 04/05/2015 11:07 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Wrong impression.

Okay then.

That item is a dead end in practice, and is too harsh even if it were
practical.

I think it was one of the discussed options. And why a dead end? I'm sure we can handle applying 4-5 patches a year from RMS manually.

You are missing the point: I meant "C-x v v", not some other command
available with VC.  It's "C-x v v" that got Richard in trouble in the
first place, by trying to commit a single file in the middle of a
failed merge.

And I meant that an automated solution would be great to have, but it's the responsibility of every committer to pay attention and not mess up.

I think that should be pretty obvious.

Editing the already-created commits is more complicated, but I think
there was some advice on that subject too, in the humongous thread.

It's also on the Wiki.

"If you made a mistake"? That only helps when we need to change the most recent commit. Which is good, but probably not enough.

Which is why it is important to help those users find the right
procedures they can safely follow.

Having better instructions will, of course, be a beneficial side of this whole enterprise.

I don't mind switching the order.  I myself use "git show".  It's just
that most others suggested "git diff", and its syntax is a bit simpler
when more than one commit is involved.

I think the committer had probably already tested the installed changes for functionality. So the thing that's most often in need of checking is writing: comments, docs and commit messages.

I don't think there's lack of motivation in this case.

In my book, "I want everything to work like CVS" means a lack of motivation to learn.

But not everyone has to be an Emacs committer. That's not harsh: people
can have better priorities in life.

Applied to veteran Emacs developers, it _is_ harsh, at least IMO.

Maybe to any other veteran, but since Richard holds the "master key" anyway, that wouldn't be like locking him out of the project.

Considering the mega-thread is clocking at 505 messages now, would it really not have been a better solution?

Cue the "teach a man how to fish" proverb. It seems to me that the
result is only one fish on Richard's table, and one that was pretty
haphazardly prepared.

We all need help from time to time.  I see no reason to tell people
they goofed too many times, especially if they already know that.

"Haphazardly prepared" by other people, of course, because there's really no possible way to reliably get instructions from this large a crowd, all shouting at the same time.