Re: Bidirectional text and URLs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Bidirectional text and URLs
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 00:26:01 +0200

> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 14:49:59 -0500
>
> I'm not sure about the bidi markers, Eli can discuss that side.  I'll
> try to get the confusables in there and maybe write general code that
> bidi markers and others can hook into.

I cannot say I can follow that.  Those "bidi markers" are just
characters, so how can they hook into something?

> EZ> For that matter, what functionality are we talking about?
>
> The uni-confusables package from the GNU ELPA and glue code to let SHR
> and EWW know that a URL includes such characters.

Once again, these characters are not confusables.  Their use around
the URL is.  So highlighting them wherever we see them is not
necessarily the best way.

> EZ> We should first decide what we want to do with these cases, and only
> EZ> then discuss whether that functionality belongs to the core.
>
> I think Lars' suggestion is decent, see above.

What question?  And what does decency have to do with this?