Re: Trunk still not open

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Trunk still not open
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 11:54:40 -0400

Juanma Barranquero wrote:

> Well, framesets aren't documented in the elisp reference, but they are
> hardly undocumented. In fact, once I start writing the info docs for
> it, I don't think I'm going to say much, if anything, that isn't
> already in the docstrings or the comments. frameset.el has a bit more
> of 1100 non-empty lines, and ~56% of that is comments or docstrings.

Yes, I found it daunting when I tried to look at it! :)
(But also it convinced me you can write perfectly good English
documentation; not that I needed convincing.)
You don't need to repeat all that info.
A brief definition of what a frameset is, and what you might want to use
it for, and then an overview of the main functions for creating,
manipulating them, etc. So that people know the concept exists and what
functions to look at to get started.

(But I say this without having looked at it in detail. I see Eli already
commented as well.)

> I cannot honestly say that I've looked at NEWS much for months, except
> out of necessity (so, infrequently).

So, I think you are kind of proving my point here.

For months/weeks, the project's leader has been saying: no new development
can happen until the remaining items in NEWS have been documented.
So why hasn't everyone been making that their number one priority?
I can only assume it's because they thought "someone else will take care
of that".

In case anyone else hasn't looked at NEWS, please do.
For example, there are some OS X specific changes that I imagine need at
least a brief mention in the OS X appendix.
There are several CEDET items that may or may not have already been
documented (and may or may not even need documenting).
I am not familiar with these things and cannot document them.

There are also many bugs that need addressing.
First the "important" ones (several related to package.el), but also at
some point ideally anything filed after 24.3's release, or against
24.3 or 24.3.50, should be reviewed. This is ~ 700 bugs. Although ~ half
of those are wishlist/minor.