Re: [RFC] Micro-Init files in GNU ELPA

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: [RFC] Micro-Init files in GNU ELPA
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 10:16:25 +0530

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> I think all of these will cause problems
>
> - deprecation of variables
> - incompatibility of snippets
> - dependencies
> - loss of configurability and visibility
> - bug and maintenance burden on the submitters
> - documentation (or lack thereof)

My suggestion acknowledges the existing behaviour and merely
systematizes it.

My suggestion is a practical suggestion that need to be tested on the
field and dismissed with a theoretical object.

Many businesses have

1. Small-businesses-suite
2. Pre-configured, Plug-and-play appliances

They do make money (In GNU parlance, happy FLOSS users).

> I personally would not use or enjoy such a system.

That's precisely the point.  You don't have to.

Installing packages from GNU ELPA is optional.  Most intermediate to
expert Emacs users will not use such a system.

But new users will.