Re: APL mode

From: Rustom Mody
Subject: Re: APL mode
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 22:18:20 +0530

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 9:10 PM, David De La Harpe Golden
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 26/10/13 11:35, Juergen Sauermann wrote:
>>
>> Hi Rustom,
>>
>> With xmodmap you can make Alt and Alt-Gr different modifiers
>
> Okay, seems like there may be wheels being reinvented in them thar hills:
>
> xmodmap is _old_, xkb [1] exists. Though xkb is perhaps confusing and
> baroque, it's now clearly important to note that current xkb packages
> ubiquitous on gnu+linux systems _already include_ several variations of apl
> symbols [2], and you can use them [3].

Hey David you're a whiz!
One look at that reference and I tried:
$ setxkbmap -layout "us,apl" -option "grp:ralt_rshift_toggle"

And now if I type abcdefghijkl after Ralt-Rshift I get

Some problems are there:
in this mode now Alt-x gives me:
M-⊃ is undefined
[x maps to ⊃ !!]

More important I cant seem to find a '3rd level' -- note the standard
apl layout needs upto 4 characters from a key. ie in addition to the
usual ASCII and upcase ASCII there could be two more