Re: company.el status?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: company.el status?
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 14:37:23 +0900

Tim Cross writes:

 > I am very concerned regarding further fracturing of the emacs
 > ecosystem if that means using a platform which is using non-free
 > tools.

This is a non-issue.  Please ignore suggestions that official packages
will have a primary host or distribution point other than on gnu.org.
It just won't happen.

 > If we start moving things out to various other locations,

Individual developers will of course do so -- after all, that's the
whole point of DVCS -- and perhaps whole packages will move to GitHub
etc.  Nothing new there, and nothing horribly wrong[1] with that --
that's the whole point of free software, that users (including
upstream and downstream developers) be free to do what works for them
with their code bases.  But the official Emacs versions will be
distributed from GNU, and their repositories will be hosted at
gnu.org.  Even the die-hard GitHub fans will come to gnu.org for
official versions, and by the nature of DVCS they won't be much
inconvenienced, either.

The only thing at issue here is choice of DVCS to host the main Emacs
repos at Savannah.

Footnotes:
[1]  Of course it's not good that people are attracted to services
that aren't free.  That attraction is not going to disappear, but even
Richard doesn't ostracize developers who use non-free services or even
whole non-free platforms.  He just wishes they were as free as he is,
and advises them so.