Re: company.el status?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: company.el status?
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 00:43:29 +0400

Hi Nikolaj,

Nikolaj Schumacher <address@hidden> writes:
> The sad truth is, I can't seem to find the time to take care of company-mode
> properly, especially since I currently don't get to use Emacs much at
> all.

Yeah, that's what I figured.

>> Now, I have two patches of my own, and there might be more coming
>> (https://github.com/dgutov/company/commits/master).
> If you have the time and interest in working on it, you have my blessing to
> take
> over maintainership and make any changes you deem fit.

Thank you, I'll do that.

Since you replied now, could you update the homepage?

http://nschum.de/src/emacs/company-mode/ is number 2 hit in Google, and
it's severely outdated:

1) The screencast link is broken.
2) The configuration code block is (mostly?) unnecessary, as long as the
user installs from ELPA. And those who don't, usually know all about
`add-to-list', `autoload' and `require'. Maybe at least mention that
it's not necessary for ELPA installation.
3) The ELPA link leads to Tromey's archive, which has been deprecated
for a while. It should go to http://elpa.gnu.org/ instead.
4) The download archive links are bound to become outdated, unless
you're willing to give me access to the hosting (which I guess you're
not, as this is a personal site). So I suggest linking to
http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/company.html instead, it should always have
an up-to-date download link.
5) Feedback: I think you'd prefer if people sent bug reports to me
directly or to address@hidden, instead of yourself.
Speaking of reporting bugs, I generally prefer to use GitHub Issues, but
it seems to me there are not many current users, so any of the two
options above should be sufficient. Up to you.
6) EmacsWiki link should probably be removed or moved to another
section: I visit it very rarely, so users should not expect to receive
any developer support here.

Alternatively, you can just make it redirect to
http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/company.html

Cheers,
Dmitry