Re: inlinable functions instead of macros

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: inlinable functions instead of macros
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 13:57:58 -0700

On 08/18/2012 12:08 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:
> Could a GCC improvement be a good fix for this?  For instance, if it
> allowed the assertion failure to find and mention the source location
> of the function's caller?

That could be done via GCC.  It should also be doable without
changing the compiler, by enhancing glibc's 'backtrace' function.
GNU binutils contains code to do this, in its addr2line command,
and presumably we could use similar code inside Emacs.  Emacs
could link to libbfd on systems that have it, or it could
bundle libbfd, or it could invoke the command-line tool
addr2line to get the relevant info.  Whichever's easiest,
presumably.