Re: DVCSes, bug trackers, and GNUness

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: DVCSes, bug trackers, and GNUness
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 19:07:17 +0200

> I define "git fanboys" as people in one of these two categories: a)
> those that would consider anything by Linus Torvalds as a gift from
> heaven;

FWIW Linus' snotty attitude towards existing VCSes kept me away from git
for a long time.

> b) those whose argument (really, they only have one) to prefer git is
> that it is "fast".

Hmno... my main argument for using git is the way it does branching and
merging.

In fact one reason _not_ to use it is the opposite of "fast". That
reason is that it is so dog slow on Windows.  My old debian PII 233MHz
home network "server", outperforms my 64bit, 8 core monster at work on
git operations (the operations I regularily use, ie. git-fetch,
git-status, git-gc, git-add, git-commit, git-push).

> People with a more nuanced vision of dVCS are excluded from my
> definition and need not feel offended by it.

People keep lumping dVCSes together, but the distinguishing feature for
git isn't that it is a dVCS, but the way it does branching and merging.
It's really quite, quite, clever.

(See http://progit.org/book/ch3-0.html for more information)