Re: DVCSes, bug trackers, and GNUness

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: DVCSes, bug trackers, and GNUness
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 18:01:06 -0400

Savannah and Bzr are two practical issues with very little in common.
You seem to be proposing a very simplistic uniform way of approaching
all issues, but that's a misguided goal.

    > Savannah isn't a package, it's a facility.  So it is a different kind
    > of issue.

    I don't understand the distinction. Can you explain?

The reason I decided Emacs should use Bzr is to encourage development
of Bzr, the software package.  Savanna is not a software package.
It is a repository service.

Savannah is run by overworked volunteers, and each package means a
little more work for them.  Thus, the number of packages they can host
is limited.  So even if there were a motive to ask people "please,
everyone, use Savannah, not other repository services", it would not
be feasible to do it.

Users are not a limiting factor for Savannah development.  Savannah
has plenty of users.  So there is no need for us to "send some users
to Savannah".

    I do, but I would like to coerce other people to help me, just like
    people are being coerced right now to work with bzr

Nobody is being coerced to work on Bzr development, and nobody will be
coerced to work on Savannah development.  But we can try to recruit
more people to work on Savannah development.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation