Re: Guile based Elisp faster?

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: Guile based Elisp faster?
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 19:46:06 +0200

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon 23 Apr 2012 10:17, Thorsten <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Phil Hagelberg <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Maybe I should just wait for Guile to gain the capability to
>>> run Elisp, since that would be another way to achieve this goal.
>>
>> Will Elisp become faster when Guile runs it?
>
> I think the current status is that the performance is similar.  However,
> as Guile performance improves, we expect ELisp performance to improve as
> well.
>
>> Yesterday I did a little speed comparision between my two favorite
>> Lisps (Elisp and PicoLisp) and Elisp did not perform that good (even
>> when compiled). See http://picolisp.com/5000/!wiki?PILvsEL.
>
> You can check out the "master" branch of Guile and try this with ,L
> elisp.  It performs OK.

Most of the time Emacs is really 'snappy' (is that the right English
word?) - everything responds immediatly and fast. So it seems the raw
execution speed often doesn't really matter. However, its nice to know
where the limits are. Good to hear that there is some momentum towards
more speed for Elisp.

--
cheers,
Thorsten