Re: Kickstarter for Emacs

From: Tom
Subject: Re: Kickstarter for Emacs
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 14:50:10 +0000 (UTC)

Tassilo Horn <tassilo <at> member.fsf.org> writes:

> Not sure.  Just having Eclipse installed doesn't bother me too much.

You may be right. It's possible people would willingly fund an
implementation which aims to polish the emacs eclim interface.
Memory/CPU is cheap these days after all as you also said.

> Sure, but even with full-time initial development and crowdfunding, I
> think you underestimate the effort needed for catching up on Eclipse's
> Java support.

I didn't mean a full catch up in one jump. The first such project
could include only intelligent code completion and such. Refactoring
and such could be done later.

And there is CEDET/Semantic. An Emacs implementation could be
built on these foundation. There is no need to start everything from
scratch.

But in the end Eclim may prove be the best way to do it. Why
reimplement everything if the bulk of the job is done already?
I tried Eclim once and it worked quite well, only it was unpolished,
so if the interface is polished nicely then it can be a viable
alternative of using Eclipse.