Re: Bootstrap failure using 'make -j4' [Cygwin]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Bootstrap failure using 'make -j4' [Cygwin]
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 09:57:46 +0300

> Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 00:45:31 +0200
> From: Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
> > How many CPU cores do you have on that machine?
>
> It is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ 2.03 GHz, 1.75GB RAM

If you have only 2 cores, then -j4 is not really useful, is it?  You
will never have more than 2 jobs running at the same time.  I think
the usual rule of thumb is to use 1.5 times the number of cores as the
argument to -j.  In your case, that would be -j3.

> > If nothing else gives a clue, post the entire transcript of the
> > "configure" and "make -j4 bootstrap" steps.
>
> For completeness I have attached the full build log (40K, 8K compressed).

Thanks.  I think your problem begins with this error message I see in
the log:

   mkdir: impossibile creare la directory "deps": File exists

This comes from the following fragment in src/Makefile.in:

    .c.o:
            @$(MKDEPDIR)
            $(CC) -c $(CPPFLAGS) $(ALL_CFLAGS) $<

where MKDEPDIR expands to this:

    test -d ${DEPDIR} || mkdir ${DEPDIR}

Now, if more than one .c.o rule tries to create the `deps'
subdirectory at the same time, one of them might lose due to a race
condition, and fail the entire compilation.

Could you please try changing this line:

            @$(MKDEPDIR)
into
            address@hidden(MKDEPDIR)

and see if that makes the problem go away?