Re: Gnus branches and sync with Emacs

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Gnus branches and sync with Emacs
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 19:27:00 +0200

On Tue, Jul 21 2009, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> My preference is to have a place, either Gnus trunk or a branch, where I
> can commit new code without waiting for approval.

Noted.

> I would prefer that to be the Gnus trunk, and I think it makes sense
> to have a Gnus CVS branch for the purpose of synchronization with
> Emacs CVS.  IOW, the synchronization that happens from the Gnus
> trunk right now should happen from a "for Emacs" branch,

This would be the v5-12 branch in my suggestion.

> so Gnus developers are not affecting Emacs developers and vice
> versa.

Just to clarify: The question is not _whether or not_ to sync, but
_when and how_ we sync the Gnus repository to Emacs' repository.

> Then the burden falls on Reiner or others to backport things into
> the "for Emacs" branch when appropriate.

The "burden" basically is on Miles, but it's more or less
automatically.  Well, at least if every developer commits bugfixes to
the bugfix-branch (which will be synced to the development branch) by
Miles.

> This would bring the Gnus CVS trunk back to the "bleeding edge" status
> it had in the past.

The Gnus trunk also had long stabilizing periods (e.g. from 5.10.1 to
5.10.6).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,