Gnus branches and sync with Emacs (was: Branch for 23.1?)

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Gnus branches and sync with Emacs (was: Branch for 23.1?)
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 22:21:23 +0200

On Mon, Jun 22 2009, David Engster wrote:

> The Emacs CVS is now branched for the 23.1 release, so the trunk should
> be open again for development soon.

The Emacs trunk is only open for "non-regression bugfixes":

,----[ http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/111595/focus=111609 ]
`----

,----[ http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/111595 ]
| As currently planned, we'll use the trunk for developing 23.2.
`----

Is this still the policy for Emacs?

> I don't know the usual procedure for Gnus CVS; I guess there should also
> be a branch emacs_23_1, so the trunk can be opened again for new feature
> commits?

If Gnus developers want to start adding new features to Gnus CVS now,
we also need to have a bug-fix-only Gnus branch as well, say "v5-12",
which is synced with Emacs trunk (to be Emacs 23.2).  v5-12 would also
be used for future Gnus 5.12.* releases.

As there's no Emacs branch (or trunk) for new features, this would
imply that we cannot sync Gnus to Emacs for quite some time (dunno how
are the plans for the next major version of Emacs).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)