Re: Upcoming 23.1 release

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Upcoming 23.1 release
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 10:41:25 -0400

    The fix proposed by Richard involves changing an undocumented behavior
    of buffer-saved-size.  Previously, the documentation said that a value
    of -1 has a certain behavior, but actully any negative number does the
    same thing as -1; this patch changes things to treat -2 specially.  We
    can't install this without a significant amount of testing to see if
    this breaks anything.

Until I made this change, negative values other than -1 were never
used.   Imaginary problems in hypothetical nonexistent code should not
stop us from fixing a real bug in a real case.

The rules we make for how to do maintenance are not sacred.
They exist for the sake of making a better release.

rmail-output turns on auto-save mode in an Rmail buffer when it outputs
a message into that buffer.  This is important because the user is very
likely to delete the message from the buffer it was previously in,
and he might easily save that buffer without saving the other one.
Then the message will be in no file, and could get lost.

This feature fails to do its job if auto-save mode turns itself off
because the text in the Rmail buffer is short.

Please install the fix.