Re: Sending attachments

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Sending attachments
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 15:02:52 -0400

>> message.el forces the loading of many other packages (I sent the list
>> before).  So its effective complexity includes all of them.  It is
>> tied in with Gnus, and can't be maintained on its own.

Then the conclusion should be that we should work with the Gnus
maintainers to improve the modularity of the code relevant to
message-mode.  AFAIK they are in favor of such an effort (the intention
of message-mode has always been to supercede mail-mode and stay
independent from Gnus, IIUC, which is why it has its own manual).

As a matter of fact I think message-mode is already fairly well
modularized, when you consider the fact that it's developed by people
who have no real need to care about other MUAs than Gnus.

>     Message mode is actively maintained by the Gnus maintainers, so this
>     point is irrelevant.
> It is not a good thing that message mode can only be maintained by the
> Gnus maintainers.

FWIW, I'm not a Gnus maintainer, but I have made changes to message-mode
and to the MIME code of Gnus, so I don't think it's fair to say that it
can only be maintained by the Gnus maintainers.

        Stefan