Re: Sending attachments

From: Chad Brown
Subject: Re: Sending attachments
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 10:08:21 -0700

From: Chad Brown <address@hidden>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 08:33:56 -0700

I doubt that you can make mail-mode usable for the mime- handling
features that multiple packages want from message-mode without
significant (mostly duplicated) effort.

Could you please post a list of the features you had in mind, so that
the effort could be estimated?

Just looking at email messages with MIME attachments, it looks like
each attachment is just a fancy header line and a body encoded by
either base64 or quoted-printable.  Implementing a simple command that
asks for a file name and then encodes it and puts the result in the
*mail* buffer sounds easy enough, so I'm sure I'm missing something.

I'm sorry to say that it's unlikely, but I will see if I can do. Most of my experience with this sort of thing comes from long-ago work on MH-e, wherein I found that simple MIME is pretty easy but everything turns crazy when you hit multipart/mixed and multipart/alternative. If the goal is simply to be able to attach files to messages, then the code required is very simple (my long-ago MH-e for doing so was less than 15 lines of elisp). If you want to handle the larger range of MIME options, the complication is hard to avoid.

To be more specific about what I was trying to say: I doubt that mail-mode can be made into a replacement for message-mode for things like MH-e easily, and I expect the result will duplicate most of message mode. Adding a simple `attach file' to mail-mode is probably not very hard at all, but the result won't allow you to drop message- mode/mml (it's been long enough that I forget which parts are where).

*chad