Re: C-x C-v considered harmful

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: C-x C-v considered harmful
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 05:56:21 +0900

> Miles, if you had to type
> C-x k RET C-x C-f M-p instead of C-x C-v,
> in those cases, how painful would that be?

It would be a bit more annoying of course, but it's very hard to
estimate how much.  I'd probably live.

Of course, since I rebind find-file and find-alternate-file anyway, I'd
be perfectly happy if there were no default binding for f-a-f.

Arguably the longer command, being a composition of more primitive
concepts, is better for making Emacs "explainable"...

*however* even there were no default binding for f-a-f, I'd probably
 want to keep my personal binding, and I _do_ occasionally inadvertently
 destroy non-file buffers with f-a-f ... so I think the suggested change
 to f-a-f (to confirm on non-file buffers) is still useful.

-Miles

--
Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it
has to be us.  -- Jerry Garcia