Re: Image DLLs for the Windows binary of Emacs 22.2

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Image DLLs for the Windows binary of Emacs 22.2
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 15:56:55 +0000

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote
AFAIR we decided to not include those libraries because if we did we would have to repackage the distribution if new libraries were released because of security problems. But I have to keep track of the image libraries for EmacsW32 so I can give some input about them.

That was one of several factors that make the task much more difficult that it initially seems.

I have made a change to nt/addpm.c, which adds the GTK 2.0 installation directory to the DLL search path for Emacs if GTK 2.0 is installed. This won't help everyone, but we might as well use the image libraries from there (JPEG, PNG and TIFF) if it is installed. The answer to queries about image support on Windows then becomes much simpler - install GTK and re-run addpm, rather than installing multiple individual libraries and modifying the PATH manually.